Urbanist Hanoi

Back Heritage » Vietnam » [Maps] A Brief Cartographic History of Hai Phong From 1898 to 1968

[Maps] A Brief Cartographic History of Hai Phong From 1898 to 1968

Known today by the moniker "City of Red Flamboyant Trees," Hai Phong has always been one of Vietnam’s most prominent port cities ever since its establishment in 1888.

On March 15, 1874, the Nguyen Dynasty signed the Second Treaty of Saigon, which opened the Red River and Ninh Hai Port for commerce. Ninh Hai was once part of Hai Duong Province, and the old name of Hai Phong. In 1887, the French administration took some coastal districts in Hai Duong and merged them with Ninh Hai Port to form Hai Phong Province. On July 19, 1888, the city of Hai Phong was officially formed. In the 1940s, it was estimated that the population of Hai Phong neared 73,000 citizens, the fourth-most crowded city in the country after Saigon, Cho Lon and Hanoi.

This collection of old maps reflects the development of Hai Phong throughout its time under French control, with the earliest map dating back to 1898, and the latest drawn in 1968. The city is located at a strategic intersection of the Cam River in the north, Lach Tray River in the south and the open sea on its eastern side, making it perfect for trade and seaport activities. Similar to its Saigon and Hanoi counterparts, the Hai Phong Opera House is an iconic landmark with French architecture.

In today’s Hai Phong, some geographical features in the old maps have been modified to fit the modern population. Tam Bac Lake in Le Chan District, for example, used to be a canal connected to the Tam Bac and Cam rivers. This is evidenced in the maps created in the 1910s, but in the 1925 map, it's already been partially filled in, cutting the water off from the Cam River. Now, the other side, where the canal connects with the Lach Tray River, has also been filled in to make room for the Tam Ky Garden. New infrastructure projects have also popped up, such as two major bridges linking the two sides of the Cam River.

Peruse these amazing old maps below:

1898

1910

1915

1925

1925

1926

1928. Tourane is the old French name of Da Nang.

1929

1934

1937

1968

1968

[Images via Flickr user manhhai]

Related Articles

in Vietnam

A Rare Look Inside the Hue Imperial Court in 1895 in Watercolor

'La cour de Hue' (The court of Hue) is a series of painting done by Nguyen Van Nhan in 1895, during the reign of Thanh Thai, emperor of the Nguyen Dynasty at the time.

in Vietnam

An Ancestral History of Northern Vietnam’s Railway Construction

We often see archival images of old Hanoi, but these photos are different - they are personal. The following shots, which come from a collection of five photo albums, are the only surviving record of ...

in Vietnam

New Proposals Suggest Repairing or Replacing Nam Dinh Cathedral With Replica

Back in May, a renovation plan to replace Bui Chu Cathedral in Nam Dinh Province with a newly built replica angered the public.

in Vietnam

[Photos] 16 Rare Images of 1900s Vietnam as Part of French Indochina

In a mishmash of sketches and grainy photographs, Vietnam’s landscapes in the 1900s feels almost surreal.

in Vietnam

[Photos] 18 Rare Photos of Northern and Central Vietnam in the Late 19th Century

During the 19th century, postcards were one of the most popular forms of media that connected Vietnam with the rest of the world.

in Vietnam

[Photos] 18 Shots From the Streets of Nha Trang in the Late 1960s

White-sand beaches stretch beyond the horizon, towering mountains sit silently in the distance: for the most part, the natural landscape of Nha Trang remains relatively unchanged between the late 1960...